Friday, December 31, 2010

It Was a Very Good Year

Few words do justice to how I feel about the year 2010. Truthfully, it's been the most prosperous and happy 365 days of my life. It was the year that 'we became three,' the year I felt life grow within me and the year my heart found its way outside the world in the form of the most precious, amazing little boy I've ever known.


Tonight - for the first time ever - I'm perfectly happy staying inside our safe, warm home with my two favorite boys, reveling in how much I have to appreciate about my life. And while I've always felt a bit wistful to leave another year behind (Did I do enough? Grow enough?), this year I am only focused on how much good is ahead and how amazing this past year has been. 

I couldn't ask for more, so I won't. Instead, I'm wishing for good, happy, wonderful days ahead for all of you, for all of your innermost wishes to come true.  Thank you - yes, you - for your support and love this past year and always. You are part of what makes life richer and meaningful to me and my blessed family.

Hugs and love from the Burtons - here's to a bright and beautiful 2011! xoxo Amy


* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
To: Twenty Ten
From: Mark

Human nature is to group memories, and society groups them by year.  We are defined by years: the year we were born, the year we graduated high school, or the year we first did this or first did that.  And on all accounts for me (and I'm guessing my dearest Amy), you will forever be remembered as a most remarkable year.

From first learning we were pregnant in January, through the indescribable birth experience in September, the progressive growth, development, and birth of Tate Doty Burton will occupy the most significant memory. Everything else pales in comparison, which is not meant to diminish any others, just simply to highlight Tate.

We have continued growing as individuals, growing as a couple and now finally as a family.  And we are excitedly looking forward to continue down our path of love.

Professionally, as your final seconds expire, so will Amy's selfless career over the past eight years. Day after day she was engaged on the front lines of public service, as one of many behind the scenes who props up a public official.  Congratulations to her.

As for my career, you've brought me a series of high risk moves (calculated as they might have been), and in a bit of serendipity, I am ending Twenty Ten in the place I began (sort of).

For all the new memories being created every day, we continue to cherish the old ones as well.  Auld lang syne, right?

Thank you Twenty Ten - you were a year of great challenge and great opportunity, and you were extremely good to us.

6 comments:

  1. Much love to you and your beautiful family, Amy. And that goes for the puppers too, y'know.

    Pssssst. Tate? MWAH!

    ReplyDelete
  2. <3 you and your whole family :) Can't wait to meet little Tate :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy New Year! Love you guys!!! Big Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. And here's to a 2011 that is just as good, for all of you! <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Thank you - yes, you - for your support and love this past year and always."

    Right back atcha! xo

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment! It will be fun for Tate to look back on some day... :o)